|Source: via Pinterest, found at The Sweet Life on Etsy|
"I'd leave all the hurry, the noise, and the fray,
For a house full of books, and a garden of flowers"
Short on bookshelves,
my library is stacked on a table in our living room.
I aspire to one day have a library table like those I've gleaned from the internet on Pinterest.
As I prepare to plant our fall/winter garden I go to my books for inspiration. Some were gifts, some are references, and some I picked up just because they are beautifully photographed and/or illustrated.
Some of my favorites...
- English Gardens in the Twentieth Century: good reference for traditional english design, includes historical and color photographs
- Charleston Gardens and the Landscape Legacy of Loutrel Briggs: one of my favorite landscape designers, includes photographs and an index of his work
- The English Roses: a catalog of David Austin's rose varieties, includes beautiful photographs and descriptions
- The Charleston Gardener: full of photographs showcasing some of Charleston's private gardens
- Landscape Plants of the Southeast: my go to reference book which I often borrow (have permanently stolen) from my husband...every other page is dog-eared
- Shrub Roses and Climbing Roses: another David Austin book with a great glossary and photographs. A gift from my husband
- On Gardens and Gardening: a sweet little book from a dear friend full of inspiring gardening quotes
Maybe one day I'll get around to planting our rose garden...until then I daydream with my books
What are your favorite garden reads?
|Marilyn doing a little reading in the garden|
Source: Awesome People Reading